- 22 June 2017
Win a copy of ‘Enlightened Princesses: Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte and the Shaping of the Modern World’
To celebrate the opening of the exhibition Enlightened Princesses: Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte and the Shaping of the Modern World at Kensington Palace we are giving away a copy of the exhibition catalogue (RRP £50.00) to one lucky person.
The exhibition and accompanying catalogue explores the lives of three German princesses, whose marriage into the British royal family and wide-ranging interests placed them at the very heart of the enlightenment underway in 18th Century Britain. From advocating the latest scientific and medical advancements to their involvement in charity work, each princess would subtly alter the role women playing in the British royal family, with lasting results.
The exhibition is now open to the public until 12 November 2017 and is a joint venture with Yale Center for British Art, which hosted the touring exhibition earlier this year.
‘Enlightened Princesses: Caroline, Augusta, Charlotte and the Shaping of the Modern World’ is published by Yale University Press.
One of the Princesses featured in the exhibition is Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. Queen Charlotte was a patroness of the arts and an amateur botanist, with a particular fondness for one specific London garden. During her lifetime she expanded the grounds of this garden and was even bestowed a cottage retreat thereby George III (which is now called Queen Charlotte’s Cottage).
To be in with a chance of winning either Tweet us the answer to the below question at @PaulMellonCentr, comment the answer on our Facebook page Paul Mellon Centre or comment the answer on the competition Instagram post (@PaulMellonCentr) the answer to:
What is the name of the London garden that Queen Charlotte expanded and had a cottage within?
Competition closes at 4pm on Friday 14 July.
Terms & Conditions
- The closing date is Friday 14 July at 4pm (GMT)
- Only one entry per prize draw per social media account
- Winner will be selected at random after the closing date.
- Winner will be notified by message on relevent social media platform (using the details provided at entry) within a week of the closing date. Following such notification, the winner will be required to send full details of their postal address to which the Prize will be delivered.
- If the we cannot: (i) contact the winner (via the details provided at the date of entry) within 7 days; or (ii) the winner does not return details of its postal address to the Promoter within 7 days of notification that they have won the Prize, we reserve the right to re-draw a winner of the competition and thereafter until a winner on these terms is found.
- Please allow 28 days for delivery of the Prize. We accept no responsibility for the Prize being lost, damaged or delayed in the post.