Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered annually for the purpose of supporting continuing postdoctoral research in the field of British art and architectural history or supporting the start of a new research project that has arisen out of a successfully submitted doctoral dissertation.
They are designed for applicants who have had their doctoral theses successfully examined within the three years prior to January 2020.
The Fellowship is an award of £10,000 to cover a period of six months.
Six-month full-time Postdoctoral Fellowships are specifically designed to either:
· Support a Fellow whilst they undertake doctoral research in the field of British art or architectural history
· Support a Fellow undertake a new research project which has arisen out of a successfully submitted doctoral dissertation
This Fellowship is designed to encourage further in-depth research which could potentially result in a book, a series of articles, curatorial project or further study. It is not a requirement for the Fellow to state a single concrete outcome for the research project. However, the application should outline a carefully planned programme of research.
Postdoctoral Fellowships are awards of £10,000, this can be taken as either:
- Replacement teaching or staff costs and paid directly to either the Fellow’s University or institution
- A lump-sum grant if the Fellow is an independent or freelance scholar
The Centre does not pay full economic costs.
If an independent Fellow accepts full-time employment during the period of the Postdoctoral Fellowship, the Centre will request an appropriate reimbursement of the award.
Our funding programme supports scholarship, academic research and the dissemination of knowledge in the field of British art and architectural history only. All supported topics must have a historical perspective.
- To apply for a Postdoctoral Fellowship you must have had their doctoral theses successfully examined within the three years prior to January 2021.
Postdoctoral Fellowships are for the academic year 2021/2022 and may be taken between September 2021 and September 2022. Fellowships cannot be deferred to later academic years nor can they run concurrently with a Fellowship awarded by another institution.
Applications for shorter periods than six months will not be accepted.
For further questions on eligibility please contact the Fellowships & Grants Manager.
Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered in our Spring round of funding, applications for the next round will open November 2020 and close 31 January 2021.
To apply for a Postdoctoral Fellowship you must use our online system at grants.paul-mellon-centre.ac.uk. Once registered you will be able to fill out the online application form (example of which can be downloaded below) and provide the details of two referees. Once the application is submitted we will contact the nominated referees with details on how they submit their references which must be completed through our online system and must be no more than 500 words.
Applications and nominated referee details must be received by 31 January, referees have until 10 February to submit their references.
- Within six months of completion of the Postdoctoral Fellowship the Fellow must submit a final written report