Research Support Grants are offered in spring and autumn to scholars already engaged in research involving the study of British art or architectural history.
The grant is an award of up to £2,000 towards the expenses incurred in visiting collections, libraries, archives or historic sites within the United Kingdom or abroad for research purposes.
Due to the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic the following changes have been made for autumn 2020:
- As above, applicants can still apply for costs towards undertaking trips within the United Kingdom or abroad for research purposes, with the view that research will be done when it is safe and convenient to do so
- Applicants can instead apply for costs related to supporting themselves whilst undertaking non-travel related research
Research Support Grants are specifically designed for scholars to support the expenses incurred in visiting collections, libraries, archives or historic sites within the United Kingdom or abroad.
These grants are offered for specific research visits and individuals may claim for the following costs in line with the limits given below:
- Fares (in full)
- Accommodation (up to a maximum of £100 per night)
- Daily subsistence (£40 per day)
Autumn 2020 changes: Applicants can instead apply for support to sustain themselves whilst undertaking non-travel related research. In this instance individuals may claim for:
- Contributions towards rent/livings costs
- Research materials (e.g. subscriptions to online research resources)
Research Support Grants are offered for up to a maximum of £2,000, applications for less than £2,000 are also eligible.
The award will be paid directly to the individual as a lump sum only.
Our funding programme supports scholarship, academic research and the dissemination of knowledge in the field of British art and architectural history only. All supported topics must have a historical perspective.
Academics, scholars, postgraduate students and independent researchers are eligible to apply in the Research Support Grant category, with the stipulation that their research is in the field of British art or architectural history and is of a scholarly nature.
Conference attendance, costs of photography, photocopying, computers, cameras or other equipment DO NOT come within the scope of this award and such costs must not be included in any application.
For further questions on eligibility please contact the Fellowships & Grants Manager.
Research Support Grants are offered in both our Autumn and Spring rounds of funding, applications for Autumn will open mid August and close on 30 September, applications for Spring will open mid November and close on 31 January. The next round of Research Support Grants will open 10 August 2020 and close 30 September 2020.
To apply for a Research Support Grant you must use our online system at grants.paul-mellon-centre.ac.uk. Once registered you will be able to fill out the online application form (example of which can be downloaded below) and provide the details of one referee. Once the application is submitted we will contact the nominated referee with details on how they submit their reference which must be completed through our online system and must be no more than 500 words.
Applications and nominated referee details must be received by the application deadline, referees have an extra ten days after the deadline to submit their references.
- Payment of the grant must be claimed within 12 months of it being awarded and the research trip must be taken within 18 months
- Within six months of completion of the Research Support Grant the recipient must submit a final written report, details of this will be outlined in the offer letter