One Terra-PMC Fellowship, sponsored by the Terra Foundation for American Art, and administered by the Paul Mellon Centre, is offered annually to allow a scholar four months to pursue research on an aspect of British-American artistic exchange from any period up to 1980.
The award is open to a range of individuals, from early-career post-doctoral scholars to those who are internationally recognised in their field of expertise. Candidates may be of any nationality, although US citizens are not eligible for this award.
Four-month full-time Terra-PMC Fellowship is specifically designed to:
- Facilitate original, rigorous and exciting new scholarship in this area, and is open to researchers working on an aspect of the artistic relationship between Britain and the United States, from any period up to 1980.
The Terra-PMC Fellowship is an award of £9,500, this can be taken as either:
- Replacement teaching or staff costs and paid directly to either the Fellow’s University or institution
- A lump-sum grant if the Fellow is an independent or freelance scholar
The Centre does not pay full economic costs.
If a Fellow accepts full-time employment during the period of the Terra-PMC Fellowship, the Centre will request an appropriate reimbursement of the award.
Our funding programme supports scholarship, academic research and the dissemination of knowledge in the field of British art and architectural history only. All supported topics must have an historical perspective.
- The Terra-PMC Fellowship is for an individual employed at a College, University, Museum or Archive, or for an independent scholar
- Candidates may be of any nationality, although US citizens are not eligible for this award
- The award is open to a range of individuals, from early-career post-doctoral scholars to those who are internationally recognised in their field of expertise
The Fellowship must be taken in the 2020/2021 academic year between September 2020 and September 2021. The Fellowship cannot be deferred to later academic years nor can it run concurrently with a Fellowship awarded by another institution.
For further questions on eligibility please contact the Fellowships & Grants Manager here.
The Terra-PMC Fellowship is offered in our Spring round of funding, applications will open mid November and close on 31 January.
To apply for the Terra-PMC Fellowship you must use our online system at grants.paul-mellon-centre.ac.uk. Once registered you will be able to fill out the online application form (example of which can be downloaded below) and provide the details of two referees.
Applications and nominated referee details must be received by 31 January, referees have until 10 February to submit their references.
- The Terra-PMC Fellow will be expected to present their research before a scholarly audience at some point during or shortly after the fellowship
- Within six months of completion of the Terra-PMC Fellowship the Terra-PMC Fellow will submit a final written report to be circulated to the Trustees of the Terra Foundation for American Art and the Advisory Council of the Paul Mellon Centre