- 25 May 2016
- 10:00 – 4:30 pm
- Centre for Contemporary Arts - 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
This Art+Feminism Wiki Edit-a-Thon at the CCA is co-organised with and funded by the Glasgow School of Art, and the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art journal British Art Studies.
This event is the Fourth Wave of the BAS Conversation Piece series Still Invisible. Prompted by a rich confluence of events on women artists, including the formation of the British Women Artists 1750-1950 Sub Group and the recent ‘Overlooked Women Artists, 1851-1918’ conference at the University of Glasgow, ‘Still Invisible’ has four waves: Wave 1: Visibility, Reputation and Legacy; Wave 2: Beyond the Studio: Context and Networks; and Wave 3: Display and Re-evaluation. Wave 4 will be based around the Art + Feminism Wiki Edit-a-Thon event, which will give participants the skills to alter and add to existing wiki entries, as well as to create new ones. Wikipedia intercessions will continue to be recorded and evaluated via the platform of the journal.
Wikipedia has a gender problem. In a 2011 survey, the Wikimedia Foundation found that less than 10% of contributors to English Wikipedia identify as female, while only 15% of biographies on the site are about women. The Art+Feminism movement is one of the ways in which contributors to Wikipedia are attempting to address this imbalance, of which the Museums Galleries Scotland / National Galleries of Scotland Modern Scottish Women Editathon series was a part.
The event has two sessions, please feel free to come to either, or both. No previous experience of Wikipedia is required; if you can use Microsoft Word you can edit Wiki. You’ll learn to edit Wikipedia using the new and easy-to-use Visual Editor, and find out more about the drive to get more women onto and editing the site. We’ll then spend time creating and improving articles relating to Scottish women artists & related topics.
How do I prepare?
- Sign up for the event using the Eventbrite link
- Create a Wikipedia account
- Bring a laptop (wi-fi will be provided)
- Think about what you would like to edit about - you can even prepare some materials to bring with you on the day
- Learn more about editing using the Visual Editor, or in general.
- Learn about good sources for articles.
- Familiarise yourself with our wiki page and ‘Article hit list’ at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/MGS/Events_and_Workshops/Still_Invisible